Explore the Basic Needs Data Below:
Lancaster County has the same rate of food insecurity as the United States and Nebraska as a whole
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as limited or uncertain access to adequate food.8 Food insecurity negatively impacts health.9 For children, it can also impede physical and mental development.10
- Lancaster County has the same rate of food insecurity as the rest of the United States (13%).
- Food insecurity in Lancaster County is higher for children (18%) than for the overall population (13%).
8. United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. (Last Updated September 4, 2019). Definitions of Food Security. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from:https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspx
9. Healthy People 2020. (n.d.) Social Determinants of Health. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from: https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-of-health
10. Feeding America (n.d.) Child Hunger in America. Retrieved November 4, 2019 from: http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/child-hunger/